Tuesday, October 18

Your Daughter (Abridged)

Thank you, sir for putting something
so beautiful into the world.
I imagine you've raised her well.
And she’s done good, as she was told.
She adores you, however hard
that is to believe, she really does.
I know the caring you’ve put into her
Has made her someone that I now love.

I don’t know how to say this, I’m
Really just an amateur, you know.
I’ve never been in love before;
Words like these I’ve never spoke.
But believe me, sir; young as I may be,
I know the meaning of forever
And forever, I promise we will be,
If you let me marry your daughter.

I can understand that you’re surprised,
I mean, I know I would be too.
I know it’s hard to believe that she's
with someone doesn’t look like you.
But I want to assure you, sir,
It’ll happen- law school’s on the way
And ask her, sir, you’ll see-
Happy is something we are every day.

I know how hard it will be
For someone like her and someone like I.
We don’t look quite right, I know,
And we’ve witnessed some harsh and hateful eyes.
I know that if there was one person
That we would really need on our side
I know that’s you sir, and I need
Your blessing: your daughter as my bride.

So I'm asking you, my confidant,
For the largest favor a man can ask.
I'm asking you to give up
Your daughter up to another man.
If there's anything that matters,
In this world, sir, it's love
Not appearance, not connections
Nor any of the above.

I know it will be difficult sir;
We've already gone over that.
I know that we will fight every day
To keep ourselves from falling flat.
But I have faith and I have trust,
And I have God, and we'll get through it.
As long as we're together
Nothing that can tear us. We'll prove it.

We'll prove that love can conquer all.
We'll prove that there's nothing more.
Well then, we'll marry without your blessing,
I regret that you say that, sir.
I don't appreciate that language,
I came here in respect, you know that now.
And I'll leave here in respect,
And I'll take that solemn, sacred vow.

I'm leaving now, please know I'll always
Take care of your precious daughter.
I promise that aside from marry her,
I'll do nothing else to harm her.
I'll be happy, and I know you'll be
Because your daughter will be too.
I love her, sir, she loves me,
And as you know, we love you too.

No comments: