Tuesday, July 18

two constance rough draft

it's disconcerting
how quickly a life can change
peer into yourself now
you're past that unalterable pain

it only took a moment
for opportunity to spring forth
as you dragged your tired limbs
sopping wet across the hearth

and into my vision
must've been a sign
you traversed a distance
as lengthy as the county line
i thought, "i'll make her mine"

you weren't for sale
that dreary new years eve
an ill-fitting purchase
for share your time with me

a lifetime later
as we shared the noontime summer sun
simply beautiful mathematics
when two can become one

and i see you in the evening light
but you startle me blind
something i've never seen
but i don't mind
you thought "ill make him mine"

now you sail across the ocean
now you drive along the coast
now you were bewildered once
but now you know who cares the most

it was disconcerting
how quickly "us" was spoken of
there are two constants in my life
my dear and one of them is love

No comments: